Brilliant Boxes – Brilliant!
Since we are predominantly unschoolers, I’m always on the lookout for brilliant educational resources for our girls to help supplement and inspire their thirst for knowledge without it feeling too much like ‘school’. Recently I was contacted by The Sunshine Collective to try out their ‘Brilliant Boxes’. Brilliant Boxes are an educational resource aimed at children from pre-school to primary school age. Each box is home-delivered to your door and contains 14 hands-on, fun activities to directly support the Australian Primary School curriculum. Please note that I was not paid for this review.
Inside a Brilliant Box you will find…
- Easy to follow instructions for parents
- Necessary resources – ie: a calculator, pegs, measuring tape, whatever you may need
- Brilliant activity sheets in an easy to read format
- An answer sheet tucked away in an envelope for parents eyes only!
Each box has the child’s name on it and items inside are all wrapped neatly together with tissue paper and finished with a bow. It was like opening a present!
Our Level 3 Brilliant Box
Sayuri is a kinaesthetic or active learner. This means I’m always on the lookout for creative, fun ways for her to learn. The ‘Brilliant Boxes’ provided by The Sunshine Collective are a great educational resource that cater to a variety of learning styles. Amongst the several brilliant educational activities in our level 3 box was this cool way of presenting historical events in Australian history.
Everything we needed was in the box and an activity sheet explained what she had to do. First, she cut out historical events into cards. Then she attached them using wooden pegs onto the line in date order. We had to get creative to be able to find a place to hang them on the boat! It was a great visual and physical way to discuss Australian history. Seeing all the cards in order, she was able to process passage of time between events and also how technology has progressed in Australia. This activity triggered some great, thought provoking discussion.
Our Level 5 Brilliant Box
Lily is a logical or analytical learner. She prefers trying to work out codes, make patterns, create projects and play strategy games. She asks a lot of questions. Her Brilliant Box included an activity where she had to work out a financial budget based on income and expenditure. So perfect it could have been written directly for her!
First she worked out what kind of expenses she would have in day to day life by filling out the worksheet provided. Then after cutting out all the money, (and entrusting it in me, the bank,) we discussed what jobs she could do and how much she could be paid for each job. All in fake money! (phew!)
This was so much fun for Lily and I and the worksheets made it so easy.
There are so many reasons these boxes are a brilliant educational resource
- Each box contains many several different activities, I’ve only mentioned a few. You don’t have to do them all at once.
- Everything you need for the activities is included other than things you will already have. Having said that we also received a calculator, some pegs and measuring tape, all of which we have at home, but it’s nice to see have it all there ready to go. There’s very little prep involved, if at all which helps the flow.
- The children could not only work at their own pace, but they were eager to get through the activities so they could move on to the next, and the next!
- I love the way the Brilliant Boxes are presented to the child. Their name is on the front of the box and inside it’s wrapped like a gift. Enchanting and exciting! The way learning should be.
- Each activity is of a reasonable length, no one got bored here!
- Curriculum outcomes are provided on their website for you to download ready to transfer to your report if you’re homeschooling. Easy peasy!
- Brilliant boxes are also a great addition to your child’s development even if they go to school.
- It’s like Distance Education without the price tag and time limit, no pressure and you know it’s all there!
The Sunshine Collective’s Brilliant Boxes are simply put, a great educational resource. Your children will look forward to receiving them and unwrapping the contents. Activities are fun and interesting, whilst covering many educational outcomes. This makes it so much easier for children to absorb the information, they don’t even realise they are learning.
Learning should be fun! When homeschooling your children one of the most common problems parents come to me with is where to find great curriculum. With Brilliant Boxes most of the hard work is already done for you!
Here’s the deal!
Remember, I wasn’t paid for my honest review, however the girls were sent their Brilliant Boxes free of charge to try out. They loved them, which means I did too!
For more information about getting your hands on this brilliant educational resource, check out their website The Sunshine Collective
Use the code ‘homeschoolahoy’ when purchasing your Brilliant Boxes for a 10% discount!
Also, LIKE my Facebook page Homeschool Ahoy and look there for an exciting competition where you could WIN a custom box personalised to your needs!