Today marks the first time I’ve ever packed a bag of clothes, grabbed my grab bag and hand bag along with the girl’s nooks and favourite teddy due to bad weather.
We are ‘safely’ secured to the dock but there is a low coming down the East coast of Australia that is packing a real punch. The boat is rocking like crazy at the dock and the bad weather is with us for at least another day.
The day started easily enough. Usual Saturday morning aboard Katsumi with a cooked breakfast and lazy-still-in-our-Jamie’s-at-11 kind of morning. Katsumi is due to come out of the water next week so we had planned to tidy her up and prepare for a couple days of work.
We knew there was weather coming so we’d already packed everything loose away yesterday in anticipation of a bit of wind and rain.
I wish I’d packed clothes and personal affects earlier just in case because in case happened around midday. The wind was registering around 20kn on the instruments gusting to 40kn and its lucky we don’t get sea sick because it was rocking and rolling pretty badly.
We put some more fenders out, more lines and grabbed what we could and moved temporarily to the relative safety of the big boat The Skipper works on. Thank goodness we could because the girls were getting a little worried with the worsening weather conditions and this helped to calm them down.
A boat just a few berths down from us broke its stern line and was in danger of doing some real damage to the monohull next to it. The skipper jumped aboard to secure a fender between them while I rang the office to get help.
Our friend’s boat near us has had its tender cover blown right off, it’s hanging by a rope from the top deck now. We can’t do anything about it until the wind stops, it’s too risky.
There’s another boat moored not far from us which has its tender on the bow but it’s only attached now by one rope. Thankfully it doesn’t have a motor on it. It’s flying around the bow like a crazy kite and we can’t fix it.
There are massive squalls going past us down the water way that remind me of twisters. I’m glad we’re not on a mooring.
Will wait to see what the morning brings, it’s supposed to get worse so will have to wait and see. I’ve seen tree branches flying around on the mainland, I think I’d rather be on a boat!
The girls are safe and warm, that’s all that matters ?⛵️???? If you want to catch some footage from the marina that I took today check out my YouTube page.
Remember if you want to keep up to date with Homeschool Ahoy, make sure you subscribe and that way you’ll get emails direct to your inbox whenever I post. You can also check out our Homeschool Ahoy Facebook page to ask questions or just say Hi! We’re also on Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter so don’t be a stranger!